Tuesday, June 11, 2013


The Darkroom
This afternoon I decided to hall my enlarger and other darkroom equipment upstairs to figure out what worked, what didn't, and what needed to be repaired. One thing led to another and before I knew it I had it all set up in my bathroom. I found some old Ilford Multigrade 8x10 paper from high school and spent about an hour blacking out the bathroom and I was in business. I didn't have any filters for the multigrade paper(the filters control contrast) but I figured it was really old paper and I just wanted to experiment anyways. I exposed six sheet of paper and managed to get 3 decent enlargements - these aren't going to be mistaken for Ansel Adams prints but they definitely aren't bad for my first attempt in over a decade.
I have some Ilford filters on the way from B&H and now I'm excited to see what I can really do.  I'll then scan the prints and show a comparison to the scanned negatives and give an in depth look into what goes into the enlarging process.
Black and Whites
This print of part of an aqueduct in Rome came out the best - it is a bit flat, but I will be able to bump up the contrast when I get the filters.

No comments: