Thursday, December 7, 2017

Throw Back Thursday #1

selfportrait3
I had been shooting with a digital camera for a few years - mostly the bands I went to see, hikes, and my family stuff - when I came across a mutual friend's photo-stream on flickr. I couldn't understand how he was making his portraits and pictures of his friends so fantastic - so I asked. He sent me a link to Lighting 101 on Strobist. I was instantly obsessed with learning off-camera lighting. Above was my first ever attempt - I didn't even have a way to trigger the flash yet - I simply made a long exposure and triggered it by hand(below photo). Meet the Beatles. I was on my way.


selfportrait2
Within the year(early '08) I turned part of my basement into a photo studio and was taking portraits of my friends. At first I was making all my light modifiers by hand out of old sheets and boxes but soon had umbrellas, stands and radio triggers.
looky here
First Self-portrait of '09
1/2/09
Me
Dj's
I still direct people to Strobist when they ask me how to get into lighting - which is a journey that never ends.
typical Friday night of robot fighting
The next step was having the confidence to start charging for the work - which was probably the hardest part....
(This is my new #tbt series - more next Thursday)

No comments: