Monday, December 11, 2017

Black and White Fail

Earthquaker Day Film Fail
So I pretty much got none of this analogue equation right. I'm not even sure which part of it I did the worst. Let me back up:
On Earthquaker Day last Summer I shot two rolls of film - one roll of color in my Pentax K1000 and one roll of the new Film Ferrania P30 black and white. The color film - expired Fuji Press 400 film - came out well and with an interesting and different look like you would expect some from some old film(view that here) - but the black and white was a bomb. I bought 5 rolls of P30 from a kickstarter where a group was trying to resurrect the famed Film Ferrania(they bought their old factory). I had seen some images online and was excited to try it out.


I did show up in lots of pain from sciatica and mixed some alcohol and pills to try and numb it - so maybe that was partly to blame....and might have led to me leaving my red filter on in a scene where I shouldn't have. But mostly its because I shot a new kind film, in tough lighting, and developed it wrong. I think I have a combination of under-exposure and pull developing - not good. The above photo is my only well exposed one and even it is out-of-focus!
Earthquaker Day Film Fail
Here is an un-edited, straight-off-the-scanner shot. Look at the great view of the band!
Earthquaker Day Film Fail
That sky tho - yes - this might have worked for some ultra-contrasty sky shots.
Earthquaker Day Film Fail
I like contrast - but this is a bit much.
Earthquaker Day Film Fail
This is a shot that was kind of salvageable with lots of Photoshopping.
Earthquaker Day Film Fail
More contrast.
Earthquaker Day Film Fail
You kind of get the idea...I'm only even bothered to post 8 out of the 36 frames.
Earthquaker Day Film Fail
This might have been a cool silhouette - but I also wanted to show how much dust can ruin film. Most the other ones I cleaned up a bit - this is how much dust I got on the film. I didn't even dry the stuff right....
Anyways - none of this is an indictment on P30 and I can't wait to take out another roll and try to do it justice. I will be much more careful though....

No comments: