Friday, January 10, 2014

The Beast Revisited

Morning Tree in B&W
I love the huge 6x9cm negatives that the Fuji GSW690III makes on 120mm film. The image quality is amazing even with the scans from my flatbed scanner. I started this roll of Ilford Delta 100 in the (borrowed) Fuji late last Summer and got half way through but never finished it - by the way, half way through with this camera is only 4 images. I finished it off today(see below).  The camera has no light meter or any electronics - the lens is 65mm(which would be about 28mm on a 35mm camera - in other words a 'wide angle'). They still go for a fair bit of scratch on ebay. The Ilford Delta 100 is my favorite slow, sharp black and white film - per usual I developed it in Kodak HC-110 dilution b for 6 minutes. That reminds me - one of my other goals this year is to try out a few different developers - I think I have Ansel Adams favorite developer down to a science now....

Patriot's House A True Patriots House - across the canal. Utilities and Swamp in South Akron Electric Lines in the Swamp - I accidentally metered for ISO 400 with my handheld meter when I took this shot(forgetting I had just switched films from Portra 400) - I'm surprised it came out exposed so well. Stuff in the Basement Study #2 This is what I did with the last half of the roll. I set up a light on the right and put the Fuji on a tripod. I metered with my Canon 7D(my handheld meter doesn't work for long exposures). I bracketed three exposures - 2 seconds, 1 second, and half second. This is the one second exposure. The hard light made it a too high key, I toned it down a little bit in photoshop - and did a bit of dodging and burning. I used Photoshop but didn't do anything that couldn't have been done in a darkroom - not that it really matters.... The other shot is on my tumblr.

No comments: