Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Pushed to the (T)Max!

Wesley Bright & the Hi-Lites
When Kodak discontinued T-Max p3200 a while back I quickly ordered a couple rolls in anticipation of the price going through the roof. With the way digital cameras can shoot at ridiculously high ISO's that film photographers from the analog days could have only dreamed of the announcement wasn't a surprise - but being such a photo-history-nerd I knew I needed to try this revolutionary(at-the-time) film out. The opportunity finally presented itself last Friday at Musica when Laura and I decided to check out Welsey Bright and the Hi-Lites. I knew Musica had decent stage lighting I and I thought I would get some good shots. When I did some test metering on my Pentax K1000 barely anything registered at 3200. So feeling the camera couldn't handle this low-light metering I downloaded an app on Laura's smart phone - I didn't like the numbers I was seeing so I downloaded a "second opinion" app. It still wasn't looking to good. I made the decision to shoot the show at f/2.8-3.5 at 1/60th and develop the film at 6400(which was twelve minutes in HC-110 dilution B). When I hung the film to dry it looked charcoal gray with a few black spots where the spotlights were. I didn't have high hopes - later I could barely tell where to cut the negatives - one frame from the next was barely distinguishable. Anyways - after fiddling with my scanner to figure out a where a shot ended and the next began I came away with only 3 or 4 shots out of the whole roll of 36 that were worth dealing with - here they are for your viewing pleasure. I'll bring a flash to Musica next time.
PS - Don't miss Wesley Bright if you get the chance to see him - absolutely amazing - "Otis Redding reincarnate" - as a drunk me was quoted Friday....
Wesley Bright & the Hi-Lites
Northern Soul Dance Party Wesley Bright & the Hi-Lites
Breaking it Down

No comments: