Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Effects Affect

Before/After Sample
I'm often asked by other photographers what I do in Photoshop and by casual photographers if I "Photoshop". So I decided to post a before/after Photoshop photo. I shoot all my photos in the RAW format on pretty neutral settings. When shooting outdoor non-flash type shots I tend to intentionally over-expose my photos. i find then that bringing up the blacks in Photoshop gives me more contrast. After that I bring up the saturation and vibrance quite a bit and finally sharpen the photo.
I find that many non-serious photographers consider this "cheating" of some kind. The thing that they don't realize is that push/pull processing is something that photographers always did - even in the film days. Photoshop is the digital dark room and using it doesn't equal cheating in any way - the people who think this simply never made their own prints even in the film days. I chooose to use my own tastes in color choices - not my cameras programing - if thats wrong I don't wanna be right.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I could click "like" on this :) Although, in your final point, I believe you meant to say "doesn't" instead of does.

Tim Fitzwater said...

Thanks - I was a little buzzed on some Christmas Ale and kinda went on a little rant!

Jim said...

Photoshop is another tool in the photographer's bag!

Anonymous said...

Its like you said, people who criticize Photoshop were never real photographers in the first place.

Tim R. said...

Agree with all of the above!