Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Big Sky Akron

Akron Sky
On Sunday afternoon there was a fantastic, dramatic sky that I figured would be perfect for some contrasty black and white photography. I grabbed my Minolta X-700 with a couple of lenses with red filters then went to get a roll of Tri-X from the fridge - except I was all out of Tri-X. So looking through my black and white film I decided on a roll of Holga 400 I picked up somewhere - after a bit of research I found out it is actually Fomapan 400. I rode my bike to downtown Akron in an absolute wind storm. It was nuts. I was also trying a 28mm f/2.8 Rokkor lens that I was given - I had wanted a wide angle for my Minoltas's for a while so I was really glad to have this.


Akron Sky
I was happy with most of the images I shot but I wasn't super crazy about the film. The negatives do look a little blocked. I was able to dodge and burn most of the scans to get them closer to how I like them. I definitely would have prefered my Kodak Tri-X.
Akron Sky
I'm also wondering if the highlights would have looked a little better if I had developed for a shorter time. I developed them in Kodak HC-110 dilution b for 7 minutes.
Akron Sky
Akron Sky
Akron Sky
Akron Sky
I guess there is a strong anti-halation layer on this film - I think it shows a bit in the clouds here. I guess some people like this film in certain situations for a vintage look.
Akron Sky
Vertical version of the above image.
Akron Sky
When I was making this photo I really felt like the wind might blow me over - it was ripping through Cascade Plaza like crazy.
Akron Sky
Akron Sky
Deco.
Akron Sky
Main
Akron Sky
Akron Sky
Stacked.
Akron Sky
The Bowery
Akron Sky
This is why I've wanted a wide angle for my primary black and white film camera.
Akron Sky
West Market

No comments: