Monday, October 28, 2019

Back to Boston

Boston Harbor
I had never been to Boston before going three times in the last two years after my friend Eric moved there. This time Erin came with me as I was in Eric's wedding. We left on Friday evening(I had to work all day Friday) and stayed until Wednesday morning(I had to work Wednesday evening). I spent Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning doing wedding things and wedding friends' things - which was a lot of fun - and then most of the next few days with Erin and with Erin's friend Colleen who also lives in Boston.  Most of these photos are from the latter part of the trip.


Hopkins
There isn't much to like about Cleveland Hopkins Airport but there was a cool retro-future vibe in this photo.
Water Taxi
Taking the water taxi from the airport in Boston to downtown.
Brews in Boston
Colleen took Erin and I on a mini-brewery tour Sunday afternoon - mostly in the Cambridge area. I snapped a few photos but definitely didn't "cover" the whole thing like I would have in the past. Part of me knew it would be hard to get to these photos with how busy I've been anyways - and the other part was simply trying to let go and enjoy the conversations and time.
Brews in Boston
Brews in Boston
Brews in Boston
Brews in Boston
Brews in Boston
Row 34
Sunday happened to be me and Erin's third year anniversary - we enjoyed a really good seafood dinner at a place called Row 34. It was super dark in there - thus the (lack of) image quality.
Row 34
Graves
We also strolled around downtown for a bit - this cemetery had burials from the late 1600s.
Boston Harbor
In the morning we hit a decent coffee shop then took the ferry to Salem. It was pretty cool that they narrated the sites and history in Boston Harbor.
Boston Harbor
I believe the ride was about 50 minutes - I love stuff like this.
Boston Harbor
Boston Harbor
The port and an airplane.
Boston Harbor
Downtown from the outer-harbor.
Boston Harbor
Erin, on a boat, drinking a beer from the brewery that we are going to because Colleen works there. They also had a kitchen in the downstairs which was enclosed and heated - of course I had to be up top shooting away though.
Boston Harbor
Maybe a bit chilly but a beautiful Autumn day in New England.
Boston Harbor
Boston Harbor
wake
Boston Harbor
Setting lobster traps - I might have missed my calling....
Boston Harbor
Arriving in Salem.
Salem
The Custom House in Salem.
Salem
The pedestrian mall in Salem was mostly filled with kitschy Halloween/witch trial stuff but even on a Monday was crowded(October and all). We heard the weekends were absolutely bonkers.
Salem
We roamed for a while and I didn't take many photos mostly because the mid day light wasn't that great. We met Colleen at Notch where she brews when she was done with work. She gave us a tour and let me sample their upcoming smoked beer!
Salem
Then we sat on the patio and enjoyed a few of them.
Salem
Salem
Salem
Salem
Wharf. say it - its fun.
Bunker Hill
The next morning Erin and I rode the bike-share to Bunker Hill(I had never been there).
Bunker Hill
Bunker Hill
The artist at work.
Bunker Hill
Bunker Hill is the site of the first really major battle of the Revolutionary War. The rebels fortified this hill overlooking Boston and the British took it after three very costly charges.
Bunker Hill
I think this is Erin's bored-teenage-girl pose.
Bunker Hill
Bunker Hill
Climbing the monument.
Bunker Hill
There were four great views from the top of the obelisk but not a great way to photograph them between all the other people and the screens.
Bunker Hill
Bunker Hill
We roamed around a few neighborhoods then walked over to Harvard - this is the statue of Harvard the man. I was surprised that Harvard had a building dating to 1720(it was under scaffolding as it was undergoing renovation though).
South End at Night
Later that evening we met up with Colleen for an amazing dinner then headed for one more drink in the South End - it got a bit drizzly but that made for a few final cool photos.
South End at Night
South End at Night
South End at Night
The next morning we had to up at 5 and I didn't take any photos on the way out of town - so until next time Boston....

No comments: