Friday, March 6, 2015

iTowpath

iTowpath Meeting Last night I went to the Akron Civic Theatre to hear some of the results from public engagement meetings for iTowpath - a project aimed at improving the Towpath through Akron. Chicago-based Alta Planning + Design was the main presenter. I found many of the idea to be solid, and they had broken them into three phases - from long term, more expensive plans to the immediate, quick and cheaper solutions. I like the idea of more coherent signage and branding(and better signage too). They presented an artists rendering of what the entrance to Downtown from the bridge over 59 could look like. I think this should be one of the first things worked on. When you come out of the beautiful Cascade Locks section of the Towpath you are dumped into Downtown in the most unceremonious way possible - I have no doubt that many people unfamiliar with Akron turn around here. Some other ideas are obvious but necessary - such as better/safer pedestrian crossings.


iTowpath Meeting
The biggest take away for me was the idea of "every driveway as a trailhead". I think a huge limiting factor for me(and many) is the fact that you have to put your bike rack on your car, your bike on your bike rack, and then drive to go bike riding. If I'm going to ride I want to get on my bike and ride. So planning better bike lanes long the streets leading to the Towpath is crucial. This would be done in concert with better marking to access point to the path - besides the normal trailhead lots. My current neighborhood is only a few hundred yards from the trail but you have to drive over a mile to get there - doesn't make sense.
iTowpath Meeting
Dan Rice, President & Chief Executive Officer of the Ohio and Erie Canalway Coalition.
iTowpath Meeting
Chicago-based Alta Planning + Design presentation.
iTowpath Meeting
I also liked the idea of dressing up some of the more "industrial" or concrete parts of the path. LED lighting and murals were suggested. I've seen this used to great effect on the Highline Trail in NYC.
iTowpath Meeting
As a side - I think it is pretty cool that they are using the stage of the Civic for these kinds of meetings. The view looking out into the theatre is awesome....and if we're going to be discussing improving Akron what better place than at the best spot in Akron.
iTowpath Meeting
"Discussing"
iTowpath Meeting
"There, fix that!"
iTowpath Meeting
"Chicken Wings and Towpath Things"
iTowpath Meeting
#iTowpath

No comments: