Thursday, March 26, 2015

Bridge Studies in Black & White

High Level Bridge 2
On one of the coldest days last Winter I decided it would be a good idea to test out a new film at The Gorge. There were patchy clouds and I remember standing there waiting for the light to fall just right on the underside of the High Level Bridge. Frozen fingers aside I'm amazed by how many people I talk to who haven't wandered down to the Highbridge side of the Gorge - especially considering that pretty much everyone has driven over this bridge multiple times. The original High Level Bridge(this one replaced it in the 40's) was the tallest concrete bridge in the world when it was built. I still find the steel version pretty stunning.


High Level Bridge 6
I've never understood the mentality of the person willing to risk injury, death or simply getting busted to climb on a bridge and then....painting an awful picture of a mushroom - and a bong, or a "guy" from the game Sorry! or whatever that is. At least write that you love "Lily" or something.
High Level Bridge 3
I've taken this photo with other cameras(as have many) but always wanted a good black and white version. This is shot with my Minolta X-700 and Rollei Retro 80s developed for 15 minutes in Kodak HC-110 dilution H. I think this is only the second time I've used that dilution(half as strong as my usual "b"). I was happy with the results. I've read that Retro 80S is based on the Agfa Aviphot Pan 80 film(I'm sure its made in the Agfa factory). The film has a wide range and is close to the infrared spectrum. Sharp, and fine grained too.
High Level Bridge 1
"Arch in Light"
High Level Bridge 4
From the other side. A view you can only really get in Winter.
High Level Bridge 5
From the topside - looking down the Cuyahoga River. The eroded ridge you can see towards the top/center of the frame is where the Cascade Overlook is. I was walking here last evening and I wanted to set out a folding chair and watch the Sunset. Its worth parking and walking this span if you've never done it.
















I usually don't add photos that aren't mine but I thought this postcard I found online of the original bridge was too cool not to share.  The end of the bridge on the Cuyahoga Falls side is still visible today.
I never realized until I saw some photos with both the bridges standing that the original bridge was on North Howard Street and not North Main. This shot of the demolition of the old one is one of my favorite historic Akron photos(or Falls - depending on your perspective).     

No comments: