Thursday, March 1, 2012

Red Filter for Black and White

Akron, OH
I shot and developed another roll of Kodak Tri-X 400 in Kodak HC-110(b) and I am now batting four for four. I again used my Minolta X-700 with a 55mm F/1.7 Rokkor lens - but this time I had a red filter on all shots without people(Laura) in them. In black and white photography red filters are supposed to darken blues, greens, and cyans. Many landscape photographers use(d) them to considerably darken the sky(and make the clouds stand out). I was going for maximum contrast so I also under-exposed what my meter read by up to two stops - I think on some of these shots(mostly the ones with a lot of sky) I would go even farther next time....
Arches DeluxeTowpath and Rt. 59
The GridGoose Pond Weir

I've been able to cut back on water spotting on my negatives but I haven't gotten rid of them completely(not counting Photoshop). I've been adding a tiny bit of dish soap to my final rinse and "squeegeeing" the negatives with my fingers. Maybe its time to get some professional cleaner and a real squeegee....
High Contrast Cattails
High Contrast Cattails
Paths XVII
Cascade Locks Park
Goat Skull
Goat Skull
Wedding Cake
Wedding Cake

No comments: