Saturday, May 30, 2020

CineStill 50D

Market Morning
I was going through my film inventory and I found this roll of CineStill 50D that I forgot I had bought(I actually don't even remember when I did). So as I usually do I turned to the 'net to do a bit of research before shooting it. It turns out that this is actually a Kodak motion picture film that CineStill cuts down and removes the remjet layer from - a remjet layer is for is necessary for movie cameras but makes the film not able to be developed by traditional still film process(c41). So it is kind of a neat, novel film to try. It is supposed to be the least grainy film on the market and I don't think I could argue with that. My scanner seamed to treat the color balance a little strange on some of the images but a quick correction in Photoshop had it looking quite good. The other thing of note is that this film is fairly low contrast.


This first set of images was from a foggy morning at the Countryside Curbside Farmers Market at Old Trail School. I had to be there early with Erin so I did some wandering.
Market Morning
Market Morning
Market Morning
Oh, by the way, the name "50D" stands for what the film is - 50 ISO daylight balanced film.
Market Morning
I find the results quite pleasing with a vintage look. My research seemed to show that C41 processing doesn't give the same results as the motion picture process of ECN-2 - so this isn't going to give you the exact same look as the movie version.
Market Morning
Market Morning
Market Morning
Since I have been on a black and white kick lately(because I could develop it at home when we were under the stay at home order) I tried to find as much color to shoot as possible. Market Morning
Market Morning
Market Morning
Market Morning
Colour as the Brits say
Market Morning
Market Morning
Market Morning
Blue Handle
Market Morning
Market Morning
...and the actual market that I have been volunteering at.
This next set of images is from out bike packing trip to Seville(I'll link a video about that at the bottom of the post).
Bike Packing
Brad in motion
Bike Packing
The scan of this image came out way over exposed and very purple-y - it is corrected in PS
Bike Packing
This film is supposed to be highly regarded for its skin tone rendering.
Bike Packing
We camped at our friends dairy farm - Yellow House Cheese.
Bike Packing
Bike Packing
Bike Packing
Bike Packing
Bike Packing
Bike Packing
...and a couple bonus images:
Erin's
Erin's
Marras Sculpture
All in all I would shoot this again if looking for some interesting color negative film - it isn't cheap though at $12.99 a 36 exposure roll.

No comments: