Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Back to Boston

Boston
I returned to Boston to visit my friend Eric and his fiancĂ© Martha - we also met up with Colleen(Erin's best friend) who had recently moved to town. I had a good mix of solo-exploring, going out with the friends, and some relaxing as well. Boston is a really fun city to roam and photograph - I think a life there would be tough though. 


Boston
Both times I've flown into Boston the views were awesome - the airport is just across the harbor from downtown.
Boston
Fort Warren - it was built before the Civil War and active through WWII
Boston
On my friend Andy's recommendation I decided to take a water taxi into the city - that is it on the right side of the screen.
Boston
It costs 12 bucks for the roughly ten minute ride - obviously worth it for the photo ops/views.
Boston
Boston
Boston
Boston
Long Wharf.
Boston Public Market
My first stop was Boston Public Market - I had some snacks and a coffee. There was also plenty of seasonal produce and other great local items.
Boston Public Market
Boston Public Market
All of the cheeses.
Boston Public Market
It will be great if eventually the new Countryside Market on Sundays(Northside) could eventually expand into something daily like this(and the other great ones I've visited in so many cities). It will definitely take more of downtown residential to come online, though, before the city could support that.
Boston
I wrote about the 1712 Old State House last time I was here - but I had to photograph it again - it looks so cool standing amongst the modern giants. Its worth looking up photos of it from various periods of history.
Boston
Boston
Faneuil Hall Marketplace - a gift to the city in 1742 by a slave trader of the same name. The second floor is a meeting space where many famous people/politicians have spoken.
Boston
City Hall - a bit different looking than the nearby historic building.
Boston
The Quincy Market, North and South Market buildings make up the four building complex that are part of the Faneuil Marketplace.
Boston
Faneuil Hall from the other side.
Boston20
The dome in the Quincy Market Building.
Beacon Hill
Next I went for a walk in the Beacon Hill neighborhood.
Beacon Hill
Beacon Hill
Beacon Hill
Beacon Hill
Boston Common
...and then I headed down into Boston Common.
Boston Common
Boston Common
Boston Common
Boston Common
Boston Common
Democracy Brewing
I had lunch at Democracy Brewing - the beer and food were great.
Democracy Brewing
Boston Common
I stumbled on one of the outdoor farmer's markets that the Boston Public Market puts on.
Boston Common
Boston Common
boston31_1
A view of the Boston Tea Party museum.
Trillium Brewing
My next stop was Trillium Brewing on Anders' recommendation.
Trillium Brewing
The beer was fantastic.
Trillium Brewing
I had found one of the last seats at the bar and enjoyed a few beers while waiting for Eric to get off work.
Trillium Brewing
When Eric arrived he called me from outside - the place had become absolutely packed and there was a line to get in. I guess it is very recently opened - some the of these breweries just seem like licenses to print money.
boston36
So we wandered down to another downtown pub and met up with Martha.
boston37
...and then had one more back at our favorite spot back in their neighborhood.
candlepin bowling
Most of Friday we relaxed. Then Eric took us out candlepin bowling - which is similar to bowling but the pins and balls are smaller and you get three rolls on a turn. Also - the pins aren't removed between rolls so you can use the downed pins to knock down more. We had a blast.
candlepin bowling
I took a bunch of photos - here are a few.
candlepin bowling
candlepin bowling
candlepin bowling
candlepin bowling
candlepin bowling
candlepin bowling
candlepin bowling
candlepin bowling
candlepin bowling
candlepin bowling
candlepin bowling
Doyle's
...and then back to Doyle's for a late dinner.
Doyle's
"Doyle's in the Daylight"
from the website:
"Since 1882, Doyle's remains one of Boston's favorite bars and family restaurants. Our casual dining atmosphere and Irish American infused menu draws locals and tourists to experience a fine casual dining experience. Voted Boston's Best Pub, Doyle's is also a historic landmark in Jamaica Plain offering New England's largest selection of draft beer, and the first home of Sam Adams Beer." (Sam Adams original Brewery is just right around the corner)
Turtle Swamp
Turtle Swamp Brewing - just down the road from the house.
Turtle Swamp
I thought these glasses were really cool - I bought one for Erin.
Turtle Swamp
Turtle Swamp
Their upstairs room. I thought these glasses were cool too - they look like plastic cups.
Bukowski's
I rode a bikeshare bike back downtown - I didn't visit this place though I had heard about it.
Top of the Hub
Instead I went to 'Top of the Hub' - a fine dining restaurant at the top of the Prudential Building. I sat at the bar and had a beer and flatbread - the view was amazing. I sat there and watched the planes take off and land at Logan.
Lord Hobo
I then headed over to Lord Hobo's taproom in Cambridge to meet Colleen, Martha and Eric.
Lord Hobo
Really good food and beer selection - though most of the beer wasn't theirs.
Lamplighter Brewing
After dinner Colleen suggested another brewery a few block away so we went and checked it out - their beer was absolutely fantastic.
Lamplighter Brewing
Lamplighter Brewing
On Sunday Eric and I walked around his neighborhood and Franklin Park for a while but we mostly enjoyed a chill day - until it was time for me to head home in the evening....

No comments: