Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Fuji GSW690III Test Drive

Gears I
I took the borrowed Fuji690III, or "The Beast", out to Cuyahoga Falls for a spin today. I had the camera loaded with Fuji Neopan Acros 100 black and white film. I made the 8 exposures then came home and developed it. I realized I was doing something kind of dumb in the middle of the developing process - I was using a film I had never used before, in a camera I had never used before, and with a dilution of developer(HC-110 (E)) I had never used before. The problem with this being that if something didn't look right I wouldn't know which part of the process had gone wrong - my exposures or the development. Fortunately I like to think I'm pretty skilled - but it was probably more luck - and all 8 of the photographs turned out really well. 
This camera makes the largest images on negatives I've ever shot(6x9cm) which scan beautifully - I could almost contact print these. The lens on the Fuji was really sharp and I love the look of the Acros film - definitely something I'll try more of. I've reloaded the camera with some Kodak T-Max 100 and it will be interesting to see which film looks better. Its a fun camera to shoot and it really makes you slow down and consider all factors before you trip the shutter. I used an old-school hand held light meter to help me figure out proper exposure and really evaluated composition before shooting knowing I only had 8 shots.
 I don't look forward to returning this camera to its owner....
Up On the Roof
These large images scan so well, even on my modest flatbed scanner, that they almost look digital. River Walk
I love the mid-tones in this shot. Gears II
"What's Good for the Goose is Good for the Gears"
Fire Escapes
This one is kind of average on the composition side. Curves
Curves
fuji4
The River
Old Wall
Something didn't go right with the developing on this image - you can see how it looks too light in the middle of the image.

No comments: