Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Burned Farm - A Photo Essay

Room With  View IX
A few weeks ago I posted about an abandoned farm implement that I had found in the woods - it seemed to be in such a strange place that I decided to go back and do some more exploring to see if I could find out why it was there. I hiked up an old road that ended up combining for a while with a current horse trail. Off the road I noticed some stones and realized it was a walkway - this led to the foundation of an old house, from there I found other outbuildings, the foundation of a barn, a cabin foundation in the woods, and finally the old farm dump. It turned out to be a really fun area to explore - stuff was strewn everywhere. I found out later that the park had burned down the farm in the late 70's. The owners were originally farmers but had later built rental cabins to earn money.
These where shot with my Minolta X-700 and my favorite lens, a Rokkor 55mm f/1.7 and I love the dreamy quality it gives these photos. As I stated yesterday - this was on my first roll of Fuji Neopan 400. The Neopan really does seem to have more pronounced mid-tones than the other black and white films I've been shooting - but I ironically boosted the contrast for these shots to give them a grittier look.
The Foundations
You could see the history in the foundation of the farm house - from the old original stone to a few different kinds of brick. You could also tell the house was added onto multiple times over the years. Bank Barn Wall
This is the front wall of the bank barn. The whole foundation was visible and there was also a cistern nearby. Steps to Nowhere
'Steps to Nowhere' -these were part of a separate building close to the house. Home Sweet Home II
More of the farm house
Washer
Part of a washer left in the basement. D-bol
Decades of bottles where all over the ravine where the farm dump must have been. Headlights....Ditch!
'Headlamps' - a couple of cars must have contributed to the car parts laying around. Tanks but No Tanks
Tires, glass bottles, and plastic toys will inherit the earth. Its Your Little Red Wagon...
"Its your little red wagon - and you have to pull it" Stove Study #3
Cooking Class
Bottles Up
Jugs II
Drum Dumb
Its amazing the park has left this much junk around. Nice Legs XII
'Nice Legs' - the rest of this old stove was buried in the woods near the foundation of what I assume was a cabin.
Well?
Well, Well, Well

3 comments:

Kyle said...

These are beautiful photographs. You need to get these printed and framed together on a wall in your place. There is a story in each photo. It reminds of a peaceful post-apocalypse. The Pompeii of the Cuyahoga Valley.

Tim Fitzwater said...

Thanks!
I wish I had thought of the title "Pompeii of the Cuyahoga Valley". My goal is to print these in an eventual darkroom.

Kyle said...

Maybe you can bring me on staff as a post title writer.