Sunday, February 1, 2015

Akron2Akron: North Hill

Tina
Yesterday I participated in the second Akron2Akron neighborhood walking tour - this time we were in North Hill. The tour started at Urban Vision, which is in a beautiful old church, and learned a little bit about their mission. We toured the facilities and stopped in the room housing Neighbors Apparel - who employ and train refugees living in North Hill in making apparel. The group was large and the stops small - so we split into three groups before we hit the streets. My group first walked to Morris's International Market - a store specializing in African groceries. We sampled drinks and snacks and learned about the unique items they sell.


Urban Vision
Urban Vision's amazing sanctuary - while Kyle talks about the Knight Foundation's involvement.
Jason
Urban planner Jason Segedy.
Ohio
Ohio patches at Neighbors Apparel.
Shirt Shopping
Checking out some of the cool products made by Neighbors Apparel.
I am a Neighbor
"I Am A Neighbor"
Neighbors Apparel
Shirts made with fair-trade fabric.
Morris's International Market "Morris's International Market" - now I know where to find corn husks when I want to attempt making real tamales!!!
Vimto
We sampled a few of the various drinks and snacks popular with the immigrant community.
Family Groceries
After Morris's we took a tour of Family Groceries on North Main. Naresh showed us the items that his mainly Nepalese and Bhutanese clients purchase.
Skinless
"Skinless"

Rice "Rice"
Naresh Naresh giving us a background on his and the store's history.
Bitter Fruits
The produce section was awesome, many unique items- this was a very bitter fruit - I wish I could remember the name of.
Samples
In the back of the store was a small cafe. Buddha made us chatpattey samples. An interesting dish based on puffed rice.
Laughter
Kyle - having a good time.
Redeemer North Hill Methodist
Redeemer North Hill United Methodist. 
We learned about the architecture of the building - known as the "Akron Model" and about the amazing work the church is doing. We also sampled a mind blowing dish - I'm forgetting the ethnicity of the women who made it (Nepalese?) but the hospitality was awesome. The tour wound up at The Office Bistro - they opened early and had appetizers for everyone. I wish I could have stayed on longer for the wrap up discussion but I had another function to attend. 
I really enjoy these walking tours - learning the history of our neighborhoods and finding out about the places that I pass all the time and don't think twice about. I'm also humbled by the amazing work people are doing here in town - it really motivates me to do more and be a part of something bigger.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ways Privileged People Can Reduce the Negative Impact of Gentrification:
http://everydayfeminism.com/2014/10/9-ways-privileged-gentrification/