Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Steve McCurry in Canton

Steve McCurry
On Saturday Rick and I went down to Canton to see Steve McCurry do a Q&A at the Joseph Saxton Gallery of Photography. If you don't think you know who that is you at least know his most famous photo - Afghan Girl(google it) - it is probably in the top five of most famous photographs ever taken(if not just #1 at this point). He is an absolute master of color and light and the gallery had an incredible collection of large prints on display. If you haven't been to Joseph Saxton it is always worth the trip as their collection in general is up there with museums and galleries in NYC or Chicago. Anyways - McCurry was interesting to hear from. There were some of the boring technical questions(he isn't a studio photographer bro, knowing what f-stop he used isn't going to help you) but most of it was thoughtful.


Steve McCurry
I'm writing this on the day that another master, Robert Frank, passed away and I feel the same about him - all the technical knowledge in the world isn't going to make my photos look like theirs.
Steve McCurry
Steve McCurry
I was super busy on Saturday having had a shoot in the morning and my own art opening that evening but I'm so glad I made the time to get down to Canton to see him.
Steve McCurry
Steve McCurry
I'm one of the people that doesn't need to meet my heroes - what am I going to say? "I, I really like your photos Mr. McCurry".
Steve McCurry
Steve McCurry
Steve McCurry
I've seen a few fantastic shows now at this gallery - it really is a gem.
Steve McCurry
Steve McCurry

No comments: