Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Adventure Time

Vacation Time
So I am heading off on another adventure - and pretty much the first long one since I started this business. Its actually not a beach vacation at all - I just wanted to make that photo. I'm heading to the North of France to Photograph the most famous single day bicycle race in the world - Paris-Roubaix or "The Hell of the North" or "L'enfer du Nord" or "A Sunday in Hell" or "The Queen of the Classics" or "la Pascale".... you get the point, anything with this many nicknames has to be great. It is one of cycling's five monuments and also a "cobbled classic" - one of the races in the North of France or Belgium that partly takes place on ancient cobbled streets - miserable to ride/legendary to win. I will also be heading to Paris and Provence. I won't have my cell service turned on but I will still be responsive to emails and any other social media(all links are on the main website).


Vacation Time
As always the dilemma is what gear to bring. When I went to Rome the choices were a little easier - I was staying in the same place the whole time - this is a little harder as I will be moving around and want to stay mobile. As much as it pains me I think the drone will be staying home but I have to bring my favorite film camera(but only having one of those kinda bothers me!). The GoPro is so small it is a "why not?" and I also think I can put it in Erin's hands if I want some video while I shoot stills. Even though it feels kind of redundant, I think I'm going to bring my Sigma 35mm f/1.4 and my Canon 16-35mm f/2.8. The 35 is so beautiful compared to the Canon at 35 - but I still think I might want that ultra wide 16mm for some shots... So the above photo shows the tentative kit - I still have a few short hours to decide..

On another subject - I feel a little bummed that I have been so quiet on this website and social media lately. I've been so busy with work and the lead up to this trip that I just haven't had the time to make videos, blog posts, and personal projects. Not to mention tax season and a few other practicalities of late. It just is what it is - I'm very glad to be so busy professionally but I do plan to hit it hard with everything when I get back. I have some cool projects planned - I'm just anxious for some of them to be out in the good weather if it ever comes.
See you soon - au revoir!

No comments: