Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Boston

Boston
My friend Eric moved to Boston a little over a month ago and has been trying to find work and re-establish himself in a new city. His girlfriend, Martha, contacted me about visiting on his birthday as a surprise. It worked out that I didn't have any shoots that weekend and I was able to find a really cheap flight on Jet Blue. He was quite surprised(confused) when he walked into the coffee shop she dropped me at saw me there! I think I might have caught it on video. 
We had a great few days hanging out and even though we got around a lot I didn't take a ton of photos. Grey winter days just aren't the best for city photos and it was also nice to just enjoy the time and not always worry about getting a great shot. That is often hard for me to do - but it also gives me an excuse to come back and visit when everything is green.

Sunrise
Fun fact about me - I absolutely love flying and always try to book a window seat. The flight out did not disappoint. Leaving Hopkins we flew out over the lake and turned around and passed Cleveland and the Lake Erie Shoreline.
Cleveland
Downtown Cleveland - even though it is a little blurry I still had to post it. Flying into Boston was equally as cool - we flew over the city and out over the ocean before turning around and getting a great view of Boston and the Harbor(first photo in this blog).
Gas is Gas
"Gas is Gas" - one of the great signs in Eric ans Martha's neighborhood.
Soldier
Guarding the Harbor.
Fishing Pier
Old Fishing Pier - we did have some sunlight the day I got there - but it was extremely cold too.
Eric an I
Starting the day right with some bloody marry's and football arguments in an Irish Pub.
Two Asses!
"Two Asses" - how could I not title it that?
Old State House
"Old State House" - this is one of the oldest public building in the country - 1712. It was a court under British rule and the Declaration of Independence was read from its balcony - after independence it became the Boston Statehouse, then City Hall, later private businesses, and now a museum and subway stop. In this shot I was messing with my wide-angle lens. The two below I love - this old building being loomed over by the modern skyscrapers of the Financial Distract. It is worth looking up photos/drawings of the building from over the years - from being the tallest on the street - to the 1800s style building that rose.
Old State House
Old State House
This is my favorite - not because it is the best shot - just because the scale of the old and new.
Sam Adams
Of course I drank some Sam in Boston. They actually live in the neighborhood with the original brewery - now mostly a test brewery with a tasting room and some restaurants and coffee shops.
State House
The current Massachusetts State House - we happened to walk by at night.
Sam Adams
Sam's
Old Bear Cages
Old Bear Cages. The remnants of the Franklin Park Zoo were just a walk from the house - an old stone zoo from the times before captive animals were treated all that well. These sat on a hill that had great views of the city - we also walked down there in the evening to see the city lights.
Old Bear Cages
Obviously
Double Backed Bench
This double-backed bench was apparently a goof originally - but became popular and was left in place.
Selfie!
Bench Selfie
Pork!
"Pork on the Salk Slab" One night we stayed in and Eric and Martha cooked a fantastic meal and then we had a fire in the yard.
Eric
Fort Hill Tower
"Fort Hill Tower" - this was originally built as a water tower. The hill was the site of a revolutionary-era for that was used in the siege of Boston. Even though the Fort and the water tanks are gone this was left as a monument to the fort and battle because of its cool, Victorian architecture.
Fort Hill Tower
The view from in front of the tower. Until the 60's you were able to climb to the top of the tower.
Brewing
Hopster's Brewing - of course I has to stop in a local brewery - these are the tanks for a "brew-your-own" system.
Boston Harbor
This is the view from a pier right in downtown - not great light but a tourist photo that I needed.
Boston Harbor
Eric at the Harbor
Boston Harbor
Forgot my tea.
Logan Airport
My flight home got delayed because of this snow storm.
Logan Airport
All the de-icing took forever - but I'd rather be safe than fast.
Logan Airport
This is probably a common sight for most - but was novel to me.
Logan Airport
Heading Home.

*Update* Here are a couple of drone shots from above their house.
Boston from Above
"Casting Long Shadows"
Boston from Above
Looking towards downtown.

No comments: