Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Eclipse

The Eclipse
Like anything that is over-hyped I have a tendency to steer away from it - plus I had a lot of work to do. So I hadn't tracked down any special glasses, lens filters or made any plans. I also figured there would be well prepared photographers taking amazing photos - so what would be the point in my half-assed attempts. As the peak started to near I walked outside and tried to use my front facing camera over my shoulder to see what was happening. That didn't work. So I grabbed a ND filter and put it over the lens - still - just a flare. I grabbed a red filter that was laying around and doubled up - still nothing. OK - now I kinda wanted to see what was happening - I grabbed my Canon 6D(decided against pointing the 5D at the sun) and I put the two filters over the lens and set the camera to its smallest aperture and fastest shutter speed. I put the camera into live view mode and there it was - the moon moving over the sun on the back of my camera. Pretty cool. "Oh wait", I thought to myself ...."I can also take photos with this thing...."


As the eerie, dusk-like lighting settled outside the studio I put my camera away. I walked back outside to enjoy the mood when I saw an airplane heading towards the path of the eclipse - I went back in and got the camera once more and snapped the above and below shots - my two favorites.
The Eclipse
The Eclipse
Clouds and Eclipse
The Eclipse
B&W
The Eclipse
This is what a lot of people got with their cellphones - the eclipse showing up in a lens flare.
The Eclipse
Without the clouds.

No comments: