Monday, October 10, 2016

Century Ride

Peugeot on High
On Friday morning I set out on a "Century Ride" that I had planned earlier in the Summer. It has been a goal of mine to get a 100 mile bike ride in before the weather changes too dramatically. My route took me down the Towpath to Massillon, on the Sippo Trail over to Dalton, up 94 through Wadsworth, and then winding my way through Bath and into the Cuyahoga Valley. I'm always torn about how much to pull my camera out and how much just to cruise and enjoy my adventure. I decided to just shoot at my planned stops and push my tired legs through the beautiful scenery - the mental snapshots will always be with me anyways....


Greg @ Akron Coffee
My first stop(not far from home) was Akron Coffee Roasters - I stopped to get caffeinated up for the long road ahead. My buddy Greg "Working Class Vegan Man" Milo happened to be there working.
Coffee
Coffee and shades - century essentials.
Peugeot in Clinton
My next(brief) stop was in Clinton. I had to get a shot of this drive-thru made to look like a covered bridge.
Clinton
Downtown Clinton kind of looks like a Main Street plopped down in the middle of a field. It has definitely seen better times as most of the building are abandoned. Hopefully, at some point, the town can capitalize on the Towpath running right through it.
Canal Boat Lean
"Canal Boat Lean" in Canal Fulton.
Selfie
Ok, one selfie.
Coffee II
I needed a snack but wasn't ready for lunch - so I decided to grab another coffee and a scone in Canal Fulton.
Coffee Shop
Nice place for a break.
Canal Fulton is a cool little town - I stopped here earlier in the summer and had lunch and checked out the bike shop.
Ernie's
My next stop was Massillon - the Southern most point of the trip. I didn't go into the Downtown but checked out Ernie's Bike Shop on the Towpath.
Mexican Restaurant
I turned East and headed ten miles down the Sippo Trail and into Dalton. I rode down the Main Street and then over to this Mexican Restaurant for lunch. I was feeling it in my legs by the time I got here. Lunch break was much needed.
Rittman Orchard
After a stunningly beautiful ride up State Route 94 through rolling farmland I stopped at Rittman Orchard.
Rittman Orchard
I bought some apples and snacks in the Market then headed over to the barn that houses the new "Bent Ladder Cider" tasting room. The hard cider was exactly how I like it - very dry. They had three selections on draft.
Rittman Orchard
Tasting Room
Rittman Orchard
The tasting room is very cool and offers a commanding view of the countryside.
Rittman Orchard
Pick Your Own Apples(but I just bought mine inside).
Rittman Orchard
The Pumpkin Patch - this is also pretty much the view from the tasting room.
Rittman Orchard
Looking back towards the Market.
Peninsula
I rolled through Wadsworth but only stopped to briefly check my map. My last stop was here in Peninsula. I walked across the street and had some dinner at Fisher's.
Winking Lizard
I next crossed back over RT. 303 to the Winking Lizard to watch the rest of the Indians' Game and have one final drink.
Winking Lizard
A Great Lakes Nosferatu
Winking Lizard
Goodbye Peninsula - about a 13 mile ride back home and a fairly tough climb up out of the Valley to finish my Century.
I was pretty dirty and beat by the time I got home but really had a good time. It was the perfect time of year to undertake this kind of adventure and the weather couldn't have been better.
This won't be my last long bike ride.

No comments: