Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Finger Lakes

Atwater Winery
I spent the Fourth of July weekend in the Finger Lakes region of New York. I was there to shoot a friend's wedding reception(I'll have a post on that soon) but also did a bit of exploring with my friend Brad(who drove us). I've camped throughout the Finger Lakes before but there was still plenty more to see and many sites worth visiting again. Also - new breweries must open weekly there. 
It was a perfect way to spend an extended weekend with great friends in an amazing place.


Atwater Winery
Oh, did I mention vineyards and wineries - Seneca Lake - where the reception was was loaded with them.
Atwater Winery
"Outhouse Study"
Montour Falls
Montour Falls
Brad wanted to go fishing - I don't fish but I got a nice bike ride and hike in while he did.
Montour Falls
"Shequaga Falls"
After Brad fished we followed a sign for waterfalls but couldn't find them. We finally stopped and asked a local who told us to turn at the only traffic light in town(onto Main Street) and we couldn't miss them. I thought apparently we can because we drove by Main Street. Well, when we turned on Main we realized the whole town was oriented toward the above Falls - which we had somehow missed!
Seneca Lake
The town of Watkins Glen sits at the South end of Seneca Lake.
Seneca Lake
"Seneca Lake"
Seneca Lake
Brad on the break wall.
RoosterFish Brewing
A Black IPA at RoosterFish Brewing in Watkins Glen.
RoosterFish Brewing
"RoosterFish Brewing"
Atwater Sunset
Brad watching the Sunset at Atwater Winery.
Watkins Glen State Park
Watkins Glen State Park has one of the most scenic hikes imaginable - water cascading through a gorge for miles. I had been here before and in better lighting so I enjoyed my hike and mostly left the camera in the bag. I have no illusions that I am going to top the photos of the photogs who scout this place year around for the best season, time of day and weather for the postcard shot. My best landscape photography is here at home - in the Cuyahoga Valley. Great landscapes are not luck - but work and planning.
Watkins Glen State Park
Visitor Center at Watkins Glen.
Havana Falls
With it being Fourth of July weekend you can imagine how packed the most famous sites were. Brad and I asked around for some "off-the-beaten-path" spots. This was Havana Falls and we were the only people on the hike. Brad decided to test the waters.
Grist Iron Brewing
Grist Iron Brewing - less than a mile from where I stayed.
Grist Iron Brewing
Brad enjoying the view and an iced tea.
Grist Iron Brewing
Beer with a view.
Grist Iron Brewing
Grist Iron
Lawn Darts
"Lawn Darts"
Johnny
Johnny with the darts and beer - what could possibly go wrong!?
Keuka Lake
"Keuka Lake"
Ride
Brad's new ride - a comfortable way to travel.
Keuka Brewing
Keuka Brewing - a small brewery we stopped at for a pint.
Keuka Brewing
Keuka Brewing
Canadaigua Lake
Canadaigua Lake - it was packed with people celebrating the Fourth. All the boats were arriving for good position to see the fireworks.
Canadaigua Lake
Parking was at a premium so we parked far away and broke out the bikes.
Twisted Rail Brewing
Lunch at a brewery? Of course!
Twisted Rail Brewing
Beer and water and Twisted Rail Brewery.
Stay tuned for the wedding post - where I did my best work of the weekend.

No comments: