Friday, March 11, 2016

Akron Snow Angels


This winter I have gone a few missions with the Akron Snow Angels. The Snow Angels are a group started by a Erin Victor(above center) that "...helps the less fortunate by providing them with warm clothing, toiletries & most importantly great conversation, friendship, compassion & respect." One of the things I like about volunteering with the group is that it is hands on and filling immediate needs without question. We meet people where they are and supply them with what they need - no intermediaries, no prerequisites. On a few of the coldest missions I started questioning to myself being out there - and then you remember many of the people we are helping just spent the whole night in this weather...and when I head back to my warm apartment many are heading to a tent... These are some photos I snapped for the organizations use with my Canon Rebel T5.



Sara at Grace Park.
https://yn6gya.bn1304.livefilestore.com/y3miFF_1EMOhZpW6dLmF-JoPqZ3YzGgzRQ-sJ2N4fbNa4XNy3AS4A3cfjEBmGQqLHUYJuPPiWioClXoksLA6KBDW-BWG-tIYQFeEeLWavmGWD85Zmr4n2Zc_cT6rEGhltAXDYk5MqvRwEGsNfHYEC5W4mDLwxXp2OBOOJXvo7srhNg?width=660&height=660&cropmode=none
Hannah and Danielle

Hot Coffee

In front of the church on an ice cold morning.

These fellows stayed out in the weather in the worst of it - when almost everyone hit the shelters and emergency shelters.

Erin getting properly bundled.


Passing out dry socks.

Cold crowd.


A hardy group of volunteers.


Conversation

Listening


Lunch

Sara
This really is a great organization - I'm glad I was able to help out this winter - and hopefully I'll be able to do it even more next year.

No comments: