Monday, September 1, 2014

Rax Deconstruction

Rax Deconstruction 4 Here is the latest entry in my series, Restaurant Deconstructions. This time it was that Valley landmark known as Rax. I remember my parents taking us there on the way home from church on Sunday mornings - I think my Grandma was a big Rax fan too - she probably ate one half of the smallest sandwich.  I loved that salad bar.  But my best memories of the building are when it was El Canelo - the Mexican Restaurant that was most likely a front for a drug dealing operation. It often didn't matter what you ordered there because they would bring you whatever they wanted - as my friend Eric was fond of saying, "looks like I got the 'red' green sauce again" - but it was so cheap no one cared. There was the time Kyle, I and a few friends decided to make it through a pitcher of every kind of margarita they had - bad idea ....and the time Jung and I were waiting forever for our food - only to look out the glass atrium and see our waiter walking away down the street. Man, were those guys stoned. I was only in the deli that replaced El Canelo once - I think it was only open for a few months - they had a really good bottled beer selection though - before most places did....
Anyways - I could go on about this spot forever - leave me some good Rax/El Canelo/Ye Olde Deli memories here or on facebook...

Rax Deconstruction 1 "Iconic" Rax Deconstruction 2 These were shot on Kodak Ektar 100 with my Pentax K1000 and this is the second roll of C-41 color negative film that I developed myself. Again, the results mostly good. i did have some white residue on the film that fortunately wiped away clean. I think I might not have mixed the stabilizer well enough. Rax Deconstruction 3 "Future Site of Dollar General" Rax Deconstruction 5 Laura and I were driving by on our way somewhere when they were tearing this down - I told her if the glass atrium was still up on the way home we had to stop - so glad it was!

No comments: