Monday, March 18, 2013

Rome in Monochrome

Saint Michael
OK, so this is how I really wanted to capture Rome, Italy - on Kodak Tri-X 400 with a 35mm SLR. For real - this is what I saw in my mind when walking around. Sure, I'm very happy with my digital images(really, really, happy in fact) but how many great colorful images are taken in Rome everyday? No idea - but I bet its a lot. Not to say that millions of great images of Rome haven't been made in black and white on film - but how many were made in March of 2013 - considerably less I'd bet. Anyways - none of that matters - what matters is my first statement - this is the way I "saw" Rome - or saw it in my mind through a camera.
These photos are from my first two rolls which were shot in "Ancient Rome" and across the Tiber in Vatican City. Two more rolls are on there way. The equipment was my usual - a Minolta X-700 with my early 70's Rokkor 55mm f/1.7.
I love the above photo.

The Colosseum IV
The Colosseum - or its real name the "Amphitheatrum Flavium" The Basilica Aemilia
The Roman Forum - that's the Arch of Titus at the far end on the hill, which was one of my favorite things to touch in Rome(yeah I put my hands on it!). It was built in 82 AD to celebrate the victories of Titus - including the siege of Jerusalem. Pictured in relief is the Romans carrying away the treasures from Herod's Temple. Its mind blowing to stand there and take that all in... The Arch of Constantine
The Arch of Constantine - built by the Senate to celebrate Rome's first Christian Emperor's victories. The arch contains pieces scavenged from older Roman monuments. Caligula's Palace
Columns from Caligula's Palace. Via Sacra
Shadows on the stones from the Via Sacra. You walk along these stones knowing that Caesar did as well. The Tabularium
Down the stairs in a 500 year old museum is the remnants of a 2000 year old building. The Tiber
The Tiber River from the Castel Sant'Angelo(originally The Mausoleum of Hadrian). Ponte Sant'Angelo Bridge
The Ponte Sant'Angelo Bridge St. Peter's Square
St. Peter's Square - I was lucky to get to tour the Vatican Museum mere hours before the shut it down for the papal conclave.
  Saint Peter's
Looking the other way - St. Peter's Basilica Roma
A photos from the Altare della Patria Flowers XVI
Close-up of the ruins in the Forum Altare della Patria
A statue on the Altare della Patria

Visit my flickr page to view more of these photographs - thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He said it better than I could...