Wednesday, January 3, 2018

I've Been Doing it Backwards

Strobist Practice
As I said in the last post - I've been taking a little time each day to get back to the basics and practice some techniques - even if they are simple. I've been re-reading some articles and websites(such as Strobist.com) that I used extensively to learn photography. I get so used to doing quick and easy two light portraits for clients(a simple look like this is often what they want) that I don't think about it enough anymore. I know my ratios and what modifiers I want to use, take a test and that is that. A good tip I picked up today on Strobist is to set the fill light exposure before the key light(above the first shot). That gives you much more freedom to move the key and change its exposure. One of my 2018 goals is to be more deliberate in my work and ask myself "why?" am I doing something a certain way.


Set-Up
This is the simple two light set up for the portrait. The fill is coming from the umbrella which is almost on-axis with the camera. I wore the hood and the hat to get an even better sense of how the fill was working.
Also - a shout out to my neighbor, Brian at Three Anchors, for the rad hoodie.
More Light
This portrait is done with just moving the key in front of me and pointing down.
Profile
....and this one moving the key light around behind me.
So these last few days of simple excersizes, like the ones I used to do when I started this blog, are already helping me be more intentional in what I do. I'm also looking to push my boundaries and attempt much more complex stuff aswell. (and maybe we will get a little break in this brutal weather and I can do some fun outdoor shoots soon).

No comments: