Tuesday, April 24, 2012

New View(finally)

New Monitor
After years of putting it off I finally bought a new computer monitor - a Dell UltraSharp U2410 - which you can see dwarfs my old one. Even typing this is a weird experience across 24 inches and 1920 X 1200 resolution. I knew that I didn't want to get a cheap monitor from Best Buy and that is what had kept me from getting something for so long - knowing it would take a decent chunk of change to get what I wanted always made it fall farther down the priority list of new lenses, cameras, film and filters.... My girlfriend finally convinced me to pull the trigger. I still couldn't justify spending the thousand + dollars on a top-of-the-line model but I think I got a pretty huge upgrade nonetheless. I do have some research to do on the correct settings and I'm a bit nervous as to how it will affect my photo editing as I had become so used to me other monitor. Yesterday when I was editing the Ektar 100 photos I was struggling to get them to look like my prints - today when I looked at them again on this new monitor I realized I had actually pretty much nailed the color. Other considerations will be how much to use filters like the unsharp mask - before I was probably over-sharping to compensate for the antique monitor(same with saturation). All in all I hope its a tool that will improve my photography - I know it will at least improve my neck and back(no longer having to be hunched over for hours with my face right up to the screen).

No comments: