Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Flight of Fancy 2017


Erin and I headed downtown last night to Akron Coffee Roasters to take part in the coffee tasting game "Flight of Fancy". There are four different coffees that need to be identified. The experts amongst us did that by visual inspection, aroma, cupping(a standardized method coffee buyers use taste coffee) and with a pour over of each. I'm definitely not a coffee expert but I do have much more of a palate for the flavors than I did when I participated last year...I just listen when the origins are being debated though.
The ACR crew also put out a nice spread of food and drink for after the tasting.(I would have been better at blind identifying the beers).



Prep


This year they had a Guess Who-style game board.

Flavor Wheel


Micah

Erin


Listening to the talk of "bean size" & "consistency" is over my head - but interesting none-the-less.

I also heard "density" being discussed.

Pours




Albert & Eva

The Cupping

Pour-Over-Crotch-Shot

Eric from Compass Coffee in the red


Photog

action

I don't have enough of a refined palate for the cupping - the pour-overs were far more distinct to this amateur.

Slurps



Huddle


Camera Ready

C'est Sérieux

Rat Sips aren't just for beer.

Told ya.

These are the options for what each coffee could be.



Decisions




Guess Who?

Beans

Snack Time


Oh, woops, that is me.

No comments: