Monday, May 8, 2017

Jane's Walk Weekend


Last weekend I attended and photographed three of the Akron Jane's Walks. Jane's Walks take place all over the world and describe themselves as, "...a movement of free, citizen-led walking tours inspired by Jane Jacobs. The walks get people to tell stories about their communities, explore their cities, and connect with neighbors.". The three I attended were: Main Street Revitalization(about the Tiger Grant to update Main), Ohio & Erie Canal(about the Cascade Locks and Mustill Store area), and My City Was Gone(about the Rock and Roll History of Akron). Akron2Akron Neighborhood Walking Tours collaborated on many of the walks. I would have liked to attend even more but my schedule didn't allow for it.



There wasn't a huge turn out for the Revitalization of Main Street Walk - but a rainy Friday at noon was the reason I'm sure. I, however, was glad that I attended. Lots of good information about the transformation and most of it looked really good to me. It was also nice to get the chance to chat with various members of the city government responsible for the projects planned and in progress.






Cascade Locks is one of the most interesting parts of Akron - it is probably the most important area in our history. From the mill races that eventually led to the founding of Quaker Oats to the Canal Era Mustill Store that still stands. I went on last year's edition of this walk and I still learned more this year.

Inside the store.














David Giffels led a downtown walking tour about the rock and roll history of Akron - its clubs(mostly gone) and its bands.


We started at the Civic - so many famous bands have played here over the years.


David talked about Lock 3 but also the very changed landscape of Downtown Akron.








Walking tours aren't just a great way to learn cool facts about local history but a great way to meet like-minded or other interesting/interested people - check out the Akron2Akron Facebook page for more upcoming events.

No comments: