Wednesday, June 27, 2012

MC Rokkor 58mm f/1.4

Daisies
I have three of the older era Minolta(Rokkor) lenses known as the "MC" series that would have been used on the SRT series cameras from the late 60's -early 70's. My most used an favorite is the 55mm f/1.7 which has an amazing swirly "bokeh"(or background blur) which sometimes gives a 3D look(which I've written about before). I decided to shoot a whole roll with my MC 58mm f1.4 for some comparison and to make sure I wasn't missing out on something better. Physically the lens is a little larger and is a little slower to focus. I found the resulting photos to be a tad sharper and the lens has a pleasing bokeh too - but I still prefer the unique look I get with the 55mm f/1.7. I'd have to say I'd only grab this lens if I were trying to avoid the "swirl look" for a specific reason.
The lens was on my Minolta X-700 - the film was Kodak Tri-X 400 which I developed in HC-110(b). Antiquing
Trike in the Red Barn Trike in the barn the light was shinning in perfectly through a window. Corn Stalk Baler Our antique Corn Stalk Baler - we still use it. Hoopes! Testing the lens wide open. Planting the Corn Maze in Dust Planting the Corn Maze in the dust. Joe in My Garage Joe in my garage - a little camera shake from the slow shutter speed.

No comments: