Monday, June 12, 2017

Beers, Bikes and a Tipi!

a14
Last weekend Erin and I took a road trip to Southeastern Ohio. Erin found a couple unique places for us to stay near bike paths and breweries. I captured a lot of our biking with my GoPro - hopefully I'll get to that soon. Before we went I also decided to just take one lens with me - my Canon 24mm f/1.4L. I didn't want to have all kinds of gear on the bike and thought this would be a fun way to challenge myself.


a1
Our first stop on the way south was JAFB Wooster - this is a brewery I love but haven't been to for a long time. The saison did not disappoint.
a3
a4
a2
JAFB always has a great selection of beers that rotate - it seems like there is always something new - and I've yet to have a bad one.
a5
a6
Brewery Selfie!
a7
Shallow depth of a pale ale.
a8
a10
After JAFB we took a stroll downtown and found some dinner.
a9
The food at Broken Rocks was fantastic - a few people recommended it and it didn't disappoint.
a13
The Tipi!
a11
The tipi was totally decked out - ac and heat, fridge, coffee maker, power strip, two couches - we would have been fine with less but it was pretty awesome.
a12
It was right on the river too.
a18
There are a lot of tipi pics because we loved it!
a17
a16
a15
We had a fire in the pit at night and Erin made breakfast in the morning. It was pretty cool listening to the river rush by as we went to sleep.
a19
This water fall was on a hike from the tipi - not the best time of day for this kind of photo but I had to try and get a few decent ones anyway.
a20
8 second exposure - my camera is just resting on the rocks.
a21
Waterfall Selfie!
a22
After our hike we loaded up the car and headed to the Kokosing Gap Trail. It was a paved bike path through the countryside. This was a stop in Mount Vernon - we just cruised around the town a bit.
a23
We also stopped of in Gambier to see Kenyon College - Erin went to school there and gave me a tour of her old stomping grounds.
a24
The buildings on the old part of campus were stunning.
a25
I just realized that there are certain things I didn't get enough SLR photos of(Kenyon, riding etc). Between Instagramming with my cell and shooting video with my GoPro I think I forget sometimes to make sure I'm capturing what I want for high quality images.
a31
After our ride we stopped at Rockmill Brewing - as you are about to see it was an amazing place - the most beautiful brewery I have ever been to.
a26
They had an awesome bbq food truck there - the food was great and you could tell these guys loved what they were doing. We had a great conversation.
a27
Food with a view.
a28
a29
All the beers we tried were great - we even grabbed a few bottles to take home.
a30
a32
So many cool spaces to hang out in at this place.
a33
a34
Hey - it both of us!
a35
Walk around the lake with our beers - ok.
a36
Looking back at the brewery.
a37
Yes - this is still at the brewery.
a40
Cutest church in the world.
a39
a38
Yeah - I'm getting old and I'm going to call a small farm chapel "cute".
a41
There was this covered bridge and an old mill next to the brewery - we stopped for the photo op.
a42
a42
Our accommodations for the second night - a rustic cabin on a horse ranch.
a44
The horses stopped by for a visit in the morning.
a45
Cabin "F"
Jackie O's
We then took a long bike ride on The Hockhocking Adena Bikeway from Nelsonville to Athens. Our first stop was the tasting room at the Jackie O's production brewery.
Jackie O's
Erin
Jackie O's
Jackie O's
Jackie O's
So we then rode from the production brewery to the original Jackie O's brewpub in downtown Athens. Kind of a must stop for any beer nerd.
Jackie O's
Jackie O's
Coffee Shop
We walked around downtown Athens for a bit and then stopped in this place for a coffee. I hadn't been to Athens since I was 19 and did not remember it at all really.
Coffee Shop
Little Fish
Last stop was Little Fish Brewing. They specialize in sours but we liked all their beer. The brewery was a little outside of town but there was a spur on the bike path to get there. With a 37 mile bike ride we didn't mind skipping the nice patio and sitting inside for a bit.
Little Fish
We usually don't do flights or samplers - I like to drink a full beer to get the feel for it - but they had so many good options we decided to go with the tasters here.
18 miles on the bikes back to the car and our couple-a-day get away was over. Now where are we going to build our tipi?

No comments: