Sunday, January 8, 2017

Winterland - Inside and Out

Winterland II
Yesterday I took my new camera, the Canon 5D Mark IV, out a to a couple of places to see how it would perform. I went for a very cold hike at the Gorge in the afternoon and in the evening to a opening at 22 High Street Gallery. It does seem to have greater dynamic range than my 6D and more low-light capability. I still need some more experience with it before I make final a judgement on the image quality. Its definitely not the instantly noticeable jump that I saw when I went from the 7D to the 6D - that was pretty big.
The main thing I've been enjoying so far is the usability of the camera. The ergonomics and button placement as well as the amazing auto-focus systems. I say systems because not only is it incredible through the view finder but also in live view mode or when shooting videos. Also - the camera is built like a tank - it almost makes the 6D feel like the my old Rebels(maybe that is a slight exaggeration).
Anyways - as much as dSLR's have just become tools to me this one is exciting to use. I can't wait to try it out at an event.


The Gorge
I've taken this photo with multiple cameras - analog and digital - in good light like this its hard to notice a huge difference in quality.
The Gorge
I believe there is an city ordinance in Akron that if you hike the Highbridge Trail you have to take this photo(heavy fines otherwise - you've been warned).
The Gorge
When I was looking at this file in Photoshop it seemed that the 5D has a lot more info in the whites than my 6D did.
The Gorge
This is the visible part of the 'Big Falls' of Cuyahoga Falls(the rest are behind the First Energy Dam). It was pretty cool how everything was covered in ice from the mist of the falls.
The Gorge
'Patterns'
The Gorge
My hiking stick with a selfie-stick mod for my GoPro. I posted a little vlog over on my FaceBook Page with this set-up.
Winterland II
The 'Winterland II' opening at 22 High Street Gallery(UnCorked) consisted of 6 temporary murals. It wasn't poorly attended - we just went right at the beginning of the opening before it got crowded.
Winterland II
This shot was pretty blown out - I was able to recover a lot of the highlights in Photoshop. I kinda like the look it gave the shot - Winterland-y, ya know?
Winterland II
Erin checking out my friends', Ben & Kristi's, contribution to the show.
I pulled the shadows up a bit in this photo which was shot at ISO 5000. There was no noticeable color noise at all. There is some luminance noise - but in an almost film-grain like look. Granted color noise is much easier to get rid of in post than luminance noise is. Either way it is still pretty impressive - especially when you think that you're dealing with a 30 megapixel sensor.
Winterland II
Two out of a million ain't bad...
Winterland II
ISO 2500
Winterland II
Winterland - inside and out.
Winterland II
I love how well the app works with the 5D - a big part of it is the great dual pixel focusing. I took a series of shots like this and the camera locked on our faces no matter how much we moved. It is very impressive. All the settings are adjustable from the phone too. Erin doesn't like me taking her photo....
More soon.

No comments: