Monday, July 13, 2020

Ohio to Erie and More 2020

Ohio to Erie Trail
For the second year in a row a few of us decided to tackle the Ohio to Erie Trail. This year we added an extra day and switched up our route a bit adding a camping spot and trip down the Little Miami Scenic Trail. It was a nice change as it cut out a fairly tedious part of the trail and replaced it with a more scenic route and some cool towns. I had to debate what photo gear I wanted to bring since space and weight on a bike-packing trip are a big deal. I ended up going with my GoPro Hero 8 Black and my Canon 6D with a 40mm pancake lens. I tried to leave the dSLR at home but in the end I knew I would want at least a few high-quality photos and the low light capability that the GoPro lacks. Photo-wise I shot them both about equally as grabbing the GoPro while riding is so much easier.


Ohio to Erie Trail
On day one we had a number of other friends join us to Millersburg and then camping at a private campground a few miles from town.
Ohio to Erie Trail
It was a hot week and there was plenty of stopping at gas stations to buy water by the gallons - we would take turns and fill all bottles and dump the rest on our heads! (many trail fountains were turned off because of Covid)
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Kenny and Brad
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ben & My Reflection
Ohio to Erie Trail
There is a fairly long section in Amish Country that is on roads - but there isn't much traffic and it is one of my favorite parts of the whole route. This photo and the ones that follow are from the top of the biggest climb(it is hard to show exactly how steep and long that hill was).
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Can you tell the above two photos were GoPro photos - not dSLR? I sure can but I'm still glad to have them.
Ohio to Erie Trail
After dinner in Millersburg we jumped off the trail and rode up a brutal gravel climb to our campground - where Ben, Gabriel and I went swimming in the pond.
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
After leaving the campground and getting back to the trail half the crew turned toward home and Brad, Erin, Ben and I headed on toward Columbus - it was going to be even longer than the first day which was 78 miles.
Ohio to Erie Trail
After a morning that was a mix of trails and roads we stopped for lunch at Stein Brewing in Mt. Vernon.
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
At the end of our over 90 mile day we stayed with our friend Brad in Columbus - he joined us for the rest of the route - this was at our first stop to grab some supplies the next morning.
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
We ended the day at Buck Creek State Park - and went for a sunset swim.
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
The next morning we took a beautiful trail into Springfield, OH....and stopped at this mural to figure out some plans for a late breakfast.
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
My Ride
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Some GoPro photos at sunset on our way to Caesar Creek State Park - the last camp spot.
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Getting the fire going for the coffee the next morning.
Ohio to Erie Trail
Another water stop.
Ohio to Erie Trail
When I look through these photos I realize how many gaps there are. It is a combination of shooting a lot of video on the trip and also just enjoying myself and taking it all in(or sometimes just being tired!)
Ohio to Erie Trail
Back on the trails
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Setting up a group shot when we reached the end of the line in Cinci. I was framing the shot remotely with my iphone triggering my Canon.
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Our Air BnB had this great rooftop patio.
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
In the morning we rode off and hit a coffee shop and a bakery.
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
Ohio to Erie Trail
The rental company messed up and didn't have our truck - we ended up having to ride a 10 mile route to get one over very hilly terrain.
Ohio to Erie Trail
All in all we had a blast. As I mentioned I focused a lot on video - check out my YouTube Channel HERE to see the three videos I've made about the trip.

No comments: